KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

5/15/13 Journal

ohpowers

5/15/13 Journal Empty 5/15/13 Journal

Post by ohpowers Wed May 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Dear Journal,

As of this moment I am working on a closed reading and would like to share some of my analysis with you.

Quote 1:
    Evidence:
    If Mr. Holmwood fell in love with her seeing her only in the drawing-room, I wonder what he would say if he saw her now.” (Stoker)
    Analysis:
    When Stoker uses the word “now” he is implying that Lucy only gets more beautiful as time progresses.
    Interpretation:
    This is an example of how the men are able to fall in love with Lucy only through her beauty. Lucy is a character that heavily relies on her beauty in order to attract people and make them love her. Lucy’s beauty captivates people especially the men; this is important because during the time period that Dracula was written the men were superior to the women and felt that they had to protect them and her being beautiful gives the men a more powerful urge to want to protect her.
    • Add part of Arthur constantly calling Lucy a child
    Quote 2:
    Evidence:
    Together we moved over to the bed, and I lifted the lawn from her face. God! How beautiful she was. Every hour seemed to enhance her loveliness. It frightened and amazed me somewhat” (Stoker)
    Analysis:
    In the quote stoker uses the word frightened and amazed; however he put the word frightened right in front of amazed making the word order significant.
    Interpretation:
    The word frightened comes before amazed. By putting the words in this order Van Helsing is putting more of an emphasis on him being amazed whether than frightened. During this time Lucy is at her weakest moment because she is dead, making her incapable of doing anything. Van Helsing is not afraid of Lucy being beautiful he is afraid of the supernatural changes that are happening to Lucy; however he is not afraid of Lucy.
    • Note that this is her weakest point because she is dead

I hope you enjoyed it afro

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:17 pm