KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal - altruism

arniks27

Journal - altruism Empty Journal - altruism

Post by arniks27 Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

In the third part of the Possibility for Altruism, Nagel distinguishes what he calls subjective and objective reasons. Subjective reasons are more from an intrapersonal standpoint. It is a reason that addresses someone’s self-interests. However, objective reasons are more in the interpersonal standpoint. It is a reason that does not depend on someone’s own interests but on valuing certain states of affairs regardless of who is involved in the scenario. Nagel claims that all reasons for action are objective, and that every subjective, or self-interested reasons has an objective counterpart. For example, if I have reasons to advance my own interest, then so do you. This also goes along with the fact that if you have a reason to advance your own interests, then I have a reason to advance your own interest as well. Furthermore, the fact that when someone’s in pain, then it gives me a reason to relieve pain as long as it gives that reason to anyone. Although this is the case, the question is how can we objective the reasons that we already recognize to have a subjective force.
    Considering the reason that I have to do what will keep a promise that I have made. This can be a subjective reason because my actions of keeping my promise are for my benefit that I want to keep that promise. If I am already motivated to keep my promise, then it gives me a reason to act to be able to keep it. However, it can have an objective reason if this promise is something that I have to do regardless of what I feel about this situation. For example, if I owe someone money, I am making a promise to pay that person back whenever I get the chance, or in a certain period of time. However, it is not always the case that I would want to pay that person back, especially if I don’t have the resources to pay them back, or there are monetary interests involved. Paying them back, and keeping my promise would be an objective reason because I would have to keep that promise whether or not I feel positively or negatively about the situation.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 pm