KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal 5/14/13

jasonhschechter
    jasonhschechter

Journal 5/14/13 Empty Journal 5/14/13

Post by jasonhschechter Tue May 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Today I woke up at 5:30 to go wait in line for a jazz reggae festival ticket. I felt like I was going to throw up when I turned off the alarm on my phone and listened to my roommates sleeping soundly and comfortably in their warm beds. I crawled out of bed feeling as if I had consumed too much ice cream, but it was not good flavored ice cream. It felt like it was gasoline flavored ice cream that was causing the lining of my stomach to bleed and ferment. So I put on a great big smile knowing that today would be a wonderful day. I decided my outfit would be extra snazzy today because it was business casual dress day. I first put on black socks. Then I continued with putting on my nice sperry wingtips. I then realized that I was very silly, because I had forgot to put on pants. I took my shoes off quickly, knowing that my big was waiting for me to be ready. I put on my khakis and then my shoes. I decided to wear a white button down today to go with the khakis. On top of the button down I put on a navy sweater vest, since it was cold outside and tied the outfit together. I tucked in the shirt and not the vest. I then put on a belt over the pants and remembered it should be brown to match my shoes. I felt alive and ready at this point. I put on my pledge pin and grabbed my binder and then headed out the door.
    I walked up landfair avenue feeling like I was going to die. But I knew that it would be worth it if I could enjoy the concert with my big. I met her at the corner of Strathmore and Landfair, and we walked over to CTO. I made a quick stop at a vending machine in order to get sun chips and chex mix. It was the best alternative to a breakfast that I ever could have eaten. It was dry and tasted stale, but I needed food in my stomach in order to not throw up. I then went to the back of the line with Talea and made conversation with her. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mr. Chen and Ms. Ho approaching. I made sure to approach them and shake both of their hands in an act of deference and respect. They seemed to take pity on me for having to wear business casual in the wee hours of the morning, which made me feel a little better. After waiting for quite some time, the line began to move. It took us about half an hour to get to CTO where we were able to get our free tickets to the concert. I am overjoyed that I will be able to go, since I was unable to last year. Hopefully, it will be a great time.
    After getting the tickets, Talea and I headed back to Westwood. We said our goodbyes and I went back to my room where my roommates were still sleeping. I tore off my clothes and collapsed in my bed with a loud groan that stirred my roommates. I was finally able to get the rest that I so desperately needed. I do not remember falling asleep, but I’m sure the process was glorious. I had some strange dreams. One of which was about Harry Houdini and Jewish magicians. I wrote this response to the dream that I had in order to remember it:
    I feel as if Jewish magicians were not marginalized in the same way as other minority magicians that have been talked about in this class. Judaism is a religion and culture, rather than a race made visible by skin color or other prominent physical features. As such, I feel as if Jewish magicians were not subject to discrimination by their audiences the way other minorities were. This is evidenced by the work of Harry Houdini, a celebrated magician of his time who suffered very little discrimination due to his religion. Anti-semitism, while a common sentiment of previous times, was more popular among lower socio-economic classes. The demographic of magic show attendees was of a higher class, and therefore did not hold the same feelings of dislike towards Jewish people.
    I know that it is a strange thing to dream of, but I often have strange dreams. I once dreamt that a giant monkey swallowed the earth and we were plunged into eternal darkness. All of the crops died and humanity slowly starved to death over what felt like the course of a couple months. It was a bad dream.
    I am excited for meeting today. I know that I will have the opportunity to be able to apologize in front of the active body for my previous transgressions as a pledge. I want to prove to them that I have what it takes to become a brother in Kappa Alpha Pi and that I wish to redeem myself in light of how bad of a pledge I was in the past. I am so happy that they put me on probation rather than dropping me completely. I really want to be in Kappa Alpha Pi so badly after getting to know the active body and becoming best friends with my pledge bros.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:44 pm