KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal - what not to do

arniks27

Journal - what not to do Empty Journal - what not to do

Post by arniks27 Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Today is the final day that I will have to do topic journals. Why did I get topic journals for the week? Because I plagiarized, and this is why plagiarism is bad. Do not do it. Do not every do it. Do not even think about it. This is why I am going to spend this entire journal entry about plagiarism and how it can possibly ruin your life. No, seriously. Let me tell you what plagiarism is. Plagiarism is stealing someone’s work. Yup, stealing. How can you steal someone’s work? Well first of all if you use the person’s idea without their consent or giving them credit. That is plagiarism. If you use another person’s work and calling it your own, that is very much plagiarism. In my case, my fault is that I copy and pasted someone else’s journal and did not give them credit, nor had their consent. That is plagiarism. Now, what is so serious about stealing someone’s work, you ask? Well first of all that is their property. What you think of and what you do becomes your own. You own it. If someone else takes that property away from you, that person commits theft. To have a more concrete example, think of a house. I have a house and I own it. This person drives by and thought that my house is nice. He then, takes my home and calls it his without my consent, nor acknowledgement that I own it. That is theft, and if you change the house to a paper or a journal, specifically, that is clearly plagiarism. No one likes it when you steal their home. No one likes it when you call their home yours. That is not nice. So why would you do the same with someone else’s intellectual property?

I think plagiarism is one of the things that are taken for granted and mostly looked over just because “everybody does it”. It is nice to steal someone’s ideas UNTIL you get caught. The consequences of plagiarism are very heavy. When you are caught of plagiarism, you can go to prison. Yes, you can go to prison. On minor cases, if a professor every catches you plagiarizing, they may kick you out of their class, fail you on that project, or fail you on the class in general. Others are more serious and they will report you to the dean or the principal, depending on what level of education you are in. You may get expelled. In just a simple act of plagiarism, you may risk your entire academic career, and may affect even your life’s goals and career. Plagiarism is a serious offense and it is not something to be taken lightly. Although many people get away with it, you should not take the chance of doing so because when you are caught, the consequences may be great.
    Plagiarism is 100% preventable, so you have no excuse. Let me give you some of the advise about preventing plagiarism from plagiarism.org. Number one, plan your paper. If you plan your paper ahead of time, you won’t have to rush and consult to stealing someone else’s work. Ask your instructor or your peers if you do not know what to write. Number two, cite your sources. It is okay to put in someone else’s idea on your papers as longs as you give them credit for it and not call your own. For example, what I did right now. These preventing tips are not from me but from plagiarism.org, so I mentioned here that it is theirs. If you are unsure whether or not your should cite it, just cite it. It is better to be safe than sorry.

According to Plagiarism.org, again, 36% of undergrads admit to plagiarizing of some sort… Don’t be one of them!

“Prevention” Plagiarism.org. Accessed May 14, 2013. <//http://plagiarism.org/plagiarism-101/prevention/>
    “Facts and Stats” Plagiarism.org. Accessed May 14, 2013. <//http://plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and-stats/>

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:46 pm