KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal 27 - 5/13/13

ronaldholden
    ronaldholden

Journal 27 - 5/13/13 Empty Journal 27 - 5/13/13

Post by ronaldholden Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 am

So, I do not have a whole bunch of time to do this journal. This is really what defines a clutch moment. This is all in hopes that one day I will be a perfect pledge. Now, I have two bigs that I cannot disappoint, but have already disappointed because of my personality. My life is so sad and I am going to depledge tomorrow. Just joking. I spent money on this, so I cannot depledge yet. Maybe after twin trials, though. More on that later. Oh, so I was going to talk about the four new Pokemon that were released to the world. One is a red robin-looking thing. It is pretty cute and reminds me of the Hoenn years when Taillow was around. I can say for a fact that Pidgey, Starly, and the other one look too much alike. I have to say that Hoothoot is one of my favorite normal birds. I am no longer interested in talking about Pokemon, so it is time to get all philosophical with my life. I was talking to my roommate Estauardo, who is a Political Science major, about the struggle of fighting for your ideals to the death. Throughout history, there have been many who have been willing to die before giving up the political ideals that they possess. Many also did die as that bridge was crossed. The fact that Antigone and Socrates both consider themselves ready to give their lives up for their beliefs is not that hard to believe. Creon and Callicles, their respective antagonists, make the claims that physical life is what is most important and that politics is meant to fulfill the desires of that life. The differing views of what politics should be is a common theme between these works. As for Plato and Sophocles, they both seem to be presenting the same idea of what a life lived for justice should be; it should be a life that can be sacrificed for the greater good of others’ souls. Although it would be nice to say that society as a whole should prefer this, to be honest, it is an idealistic view on the subject of politics. Statesmen, or politicians, according to Socrates, should only truly care about what the citizens actually need. This is already trying, as one can need chemotherapy, but no one actually wants it. As harsh as that analogy is, the physical desires of the body are like a cancer that kills slowly, killing the soul of said citizen. Sophocles and Plato both portray Antigone and Socrates as the ones going against the world- with the entire world being wrong and them being right. Antigone can be seen as a selfish glory-hog, but her intentions are good. She does not necessarily set out to just be unruly and upset the political structure of Thebes, but to simply bury her brother and receive her just recognition. To her, Polynices deserved to receive the same burial as her other brother, Eteocles. For these actions, she accepts her fate, because her pride would not let her give in to Creon. She goes to her “rockbound prison” (Antigone, 103), she is almost content with what her fate has become. This is probably due to the fact that her beliefs, in the end, remained intact. She continued to believe what she did was right, even until the very end. Not only that, but she refuses to receive help from her own sister, Ismene, as proof that her pride, to a point, controlled her decisions and made her a stubborn antagonist to Creon. That is a brief summary of how detailed our roommate bondings can get.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:17 pm