KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal #26

LeniqueDejanne

Journal #26 Empty Journal #26

Post by LeniqueDejanne Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Today was a pretty chill day. i am really sad I did not get to see my mom today for mother's day. this is my first Mother's Day without her. I called her this mother and told her Happy Mother's day and I posted a college of pictures of me and her together on Instagram. I called my grandma, aunts and other family friends and wished them all a happy mother's day. I love mother's day because it makes people take time out of their day to acknowledged all of the beautiful mothers around them. I appreciate my mom because regardless of obstacles and any set backs she faced and still face today, she still finds a way to be perfect in my eyes.

Today I had to write a response to the articles I read for my my seminar class. The response is as follows...

Sports without emotion leads to a mindset of “no pain, no game”. Emotions have a huge effect on the body. When athletes tend to ignore the physical pain they are putting their bodies through, they can end up damaging their body far worse then need be. In the Sinden article it is expressed that emotions are bad and displaying emotion is sign of mental illness. The five technologies of emotions not only show how people characterize emotions as feminine but it also brings to light, that by having the mindset that emotions are bad can lead to serious consequences. In the article it is said that fear should be suppress so that competition does not know or realize that the athlete is actually afraid. Although, normalization can lead to positive outcomes, attempts to homogenize athlete's emotions can have major consequences on the athlete's health and well being. For example, my friend was a cheerleader, while cheering she hurt her back but never took the pain or injury seriously. She continued to cheer which lead to her injuring her back even more without even realizing it. Years after continuing to cheer with a messed up back lead to her being hospitalized and had to receive back surgery. She had injured her spine by rupturing her spinal disk. She is now recovering from surgery but will probably never get a chance to cheer again.

Jayne Caudwell’s article was fascinating because it made explicit how sports relied on a binary sex system, and that non-binary people are often excluded from sports. Honestly I feel like sports should allow for boys and girls to choose whether they want to play with the boys or the girls regardless of their sex. Depriving people from having the chance to compete with people, deprives people from challenging their self and experience competition that can ultimately help them become a better athlete. It is said that girls are weaker then boys, honestly I feel like if girls and boys were able to play against and with each other it will level the playing field and girls would be able to rise to the occasion and possibly be just as good as the boys. Sex segregated sports leaves no room for transgender individuals. People who are in the in between stage are not able to be fully accepted and are usually turned down and not allowed to play sports. Those who do not conform to such norms are often not welcomed to join the team. As such, sex-segregated sports not only demand people to conform into a binary sex system, but also reinforce stereotypical masculine norms for male athletes.

Lorber and Moore imposes a question whether such segregation is due to physiological difference like musculature, endurance, and other physical abilities or to continue the oppression of women. My opinion is to continue then oppression of women. Like I stated before people should have the right to choose whether they want to participate on a co-ed team or not. Allowing people to make this decision will eliminate the thought that sport teams have to be sex segregated.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:18 am