KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal of the Day

Lenique

Journal of the Day Empty Journal of the Day

Post by Lenique Mon May 27, 2013 2:33 am

I love architecture, so I decided to dedicate my journal to architecture. In “Ornament of Architecture” by Louis Sullivan, Sullivan stresses the significance of combining ornament with mass into one in order for an edifice to have true meaning and beauty to it. The purpose in decorating with ornaments is for pure aesthetic reasons, in which they will add beauty and give new charms; however, keeping in mind that ornaments should be used with good judgment and should seem as if it is part of the structure, rather than looking put on or like vandalism, which will result as an act of disrespect to the edifice and the creator. Sullivan characterizes ornamentation as an emotional, romantic expression that gives life to a building. He explains that even though a building could be beautiful without any ornamentation, however a well-ornamented structure, interior and exterior, is just as beautiful for its individuality. In “The Art and Craft of the Machine”, by Frank Lloyd Wright, it begins by explaining that machine is the evolution of early arts and crafts. Contrary to William Morris, who protested against the machine as a menace to art for which he fought for simplicity and handicraft, Wright believed that with machine, higher art achievements could be created. As the evolution of machine progresses, there became less devotion towards architecture, as machinery such as printing became the new fascination, due to its smaller demand for manpower. Wright confesses the shame for the ignorance of religion that industrial wealth brings, however expresses that machine gives rational freedom to artists and fulfills their necessities. Machinery not only educates artists the beauty of the nature of materials such as wood, but also is an excellent simplifier, instead of using a hammer and gouge. Although the machine widens the margin of creativity and leisure, the way the artist’s mind perceives, portrays, and rationalizes nature and organic tendencies is where true art is born.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:22 am