KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal (5/26):

carmonap

Journal (5/26): Empty Journal (5/26):

Post by carmonap Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Let's talk good music for today's journal. Right now I'm in my car having a really late lunch waiting to go in to work and I'm listening to the radio. I just got done listening to JLo and Pitbull's new collaboration and let me just say...it suuuuuucks. It's like my ear got the worst ear infection just listening to that. I get it, you're both successful Latin performers, but that ONE coincidence doesn't mean you're good enough to collaborate together. Hell to the no. I feel like I am a good judge of great music because I don't have a bias to anything. I will listen to almost anything and everything. I don't care so much about style, but rather the content and the difficulties put in to music. So for example, I like Pitbull as an individual because he actually puts a lot of effort in to his work and I used to be a fan of JLo when she actually knew how to sing and perform...

Other music I like are people like Of Monsters and Men, The Civil Wars, Mumford and Sons and Regina Spektor. Several people categorize these as indie or hipster and make it sound as if I align with this ideal when in fact there is something that all these people have in common that isn't STYLE. They're what I like to call "intimate performers". They understand audience and the elements of musical performance that we as audience need, rather than what we want. You can have back up dancers, choreography, flashy lights and what not, but these musicians understand the intimacy within music and how it really brings groups of individuals together in order to experience music in its purest form. More than anything, I appreciate this because they not only understand their craft, but they take their fans in to consideration. It's not just money, it's actual craft. Anyway, I can go on and on about this for days, but I guess what I'm trying to get at is that musical talent is wrapped up in who you are rather than the notes coming out of your mouth. Music is a tool to communicate with others through a harmonic connection we all have and it's sad that there are some who don't understand that now, or forgot that understanding.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 am