KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

journal - fashion

arniks27

journal - fashion Empty journal - fashion

Post by arniks27 Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Throwback thursday! Here's one of my papers from CC.
    Fashion has been one of the most influential aspects of society for generations. It has been a part of our daily lives and is used as an expression, or just simply a norm in society. Whatever the use of fashion is to an individual, can it be considered as art, or a mere everyday tool? To answer this, the definition of art is explored through the theories of R.G. Collingwood as art being an expression and an imaginative creation, and Mieke Bal and Norman Bryson’s idea of semiotics. Fashion can be a form of expression and symbolism through both the artist and the model; however, it is limited. The limitation of art in fashion can be explored in the different types of fashion which are categorized through how they are made and manufactured. Baudrillard’s idea of simulation and Marx theory of materialism is explored through the different types of fashion to determine when it is considered as art or not. There are different aspects of fashion that needs to be investigated to determine if it can considered as a form of art, and if there are limits as to when art meets fashion.
    Many are critical of fashion being a form of art, or being displayed in a gallery. One of them is a renowned fashion designer, Marc Jacobs. He said in an interview for LA Times that “Fashion to me is not art because it is only valid if it is lived in and worn. […] I think clothes in a museum are complete death. […] I am not interested in her wardrobe. I am interested in the life and the women who wore those clothes.”. There are things about fashion that Jacob’s did not consider when he said his statement. He mentioned that he is more interested in the life of the women who wore the clothes rather than the wardrobe; however he has to take into consideration that fashion is influenced by the person’s identity, and story. Fashion being a way to express one’s self makes if a form of art. According to Collingwood, art is a form of expression. He argues that when a person expresses an emotion, he is conscious of his feelings; however, when asked “ […] all he can say about his emotion is: ‘I feel… I don’t know what I feel.’ From this helpless and oppressed condition he extricates himself by doing something which we call expressing himself” (Collingwood 25). This means that an individual uses different ways to express their emotions when one can’t describe how they feel. This is true in fashion especially in Native Americans. Most of their fashion is filled with stories, and expression of emotions. This proves the fashion can be considered as a form of art since it can be used as an expression.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:26 pm