KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Plagiarism

yseo

Plagiarism Empty Plagiarism

Post by yseo Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 am

Today's topic is about plagiarism. To begin I will show an example of plagiarism:

Plagiarism is defined in the English Oxford Dictionary as “the action or practice of taking someone else's work, idea, etc., and passing it off as one's own; literary theft.” Thus, the copying and pasting of someone else’s literary work and feigning it as my own for journals is unacceptable and against the University of California, Los Angeles policy. There is a zero tolerance for plagiarism at UCLA, which is considered a form of cheating.

If I were to write that as my journal topic, I will have committed plagiarism. That is because I copy and pasted that from Cindy's journal entry without giving her or the sources that she used any credit. Following is the definition of plagiarism:

Plagiarize \'pla-je-,riz also j - -\ vb -rized; -riz·ing vt [plagiary] : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (a created production) without crediting the source vi: to commit literary theft: present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source - pla·gia·riz·er n

The definition of plagiarism clearly states that taking credit for any work or idea that is not one's own falls under plagiarism. Plagiarism is not so uncommon in college. Insane amounts of workload and sometimes irresistible temptations to go out and party cause students to find themselves in a situation in which it is simply impossible to finish a paper by the deadline. Some students choose to plagiarize because they are too lazy to use their brain to produce original ideas and responses. Whatever the reason, plagiarism is quite common in college. Students must be warned, however, that the consequences of plagiarizing in college can change the path of the rest of their lives. A Harvard student was expelled during his senior year following several charges, which included plagiarism. He went from being part of the world's top elite to one of those unfortunate people who everyone remembers as the fckup. It is not worth risking one's future for the temporary pleasures of avoiding doing brainwork and plagiarizing someone's creation.

Works Cited
    Bramer, Scott Van. "What Is Plagiarism." What Is Plagiarism. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. <http://science.widener.edu/svb/essay/plagiar.html>.
    Ryan, Andrew. "Student Pleads Guilty to Faking His Way into Harvard." Boston.com. N.p., Dec.-Jan. 2010. Web. <http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/12/wheeler_who_all.html>.