KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal (5/14):

carmona

Journal (5/14): Empty Journal (5/14):

Post by carmona Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Today I was going to talk about how irritating it is to get off topic in class for a good twenty minutes, but then I talked to my best friend…now it can go one of two ways when I talk to Jordan: Either we are laughing our asses off about how pathetic our lives are, or we’re angry over ranging degrees of injustices within the female community. As you can probably guess, today was not a day for laughing at ourselves. The question that I always get when I “come out” to people that I am a feminist is “Why are you so angry?” or it is followed by rude ass slurs such as “Oh so you’re a feminazi?” Noooo….I am not singlehandedly responsible for the torture and genocide of a religious and social community throughout Western and Eastern Europe thank you very much, but thanks for lowering my IQ just by being in my presence when you said that…
    In all seriousness though, isn’t the fact that I want progress within all genders a good enough reason to be a feminist? And even further, isn’t wanting women to be safe and never fear that they will be abused a good enough reason to be a feminist? Oh and to answer your question “why am I angry?”: It’s because I witness and experience this abuse and condescension against women every day. I understand that there are negative connotations to the term “feminism” because people are so afraid of the implications of equality among genders, but really feminism is simply the “radical” notion that women are human beings as well.
    That’s it. I find it hard to believe that people still haven’t wrapped their heads around this concept. So when I hear from my best friend that a lead singer from a Christian band stabbed his wife to death and the public’s reaction was “The Bitch probably deserved it” or “I stand by him 100%, she was probably a terrible wife”, how can I not look at these comments from my PEERS and not worry about where we are headed? Honestly, I’m not even close to done talking about this topic and the disgusting and warped views of individuals, so I guess this means I’ll have something to talk about for my next journal. Mind you, it won’t be pleasant, and I can’t say I’m sorry, because the reality is that my endeavors in life will solely be to rectify such situations, so excuse me if this sounds like a debby downer journal.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:11 pm