KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal 5-12

BritLash

Journal 5-12 Empty Journal 5-12

Post by BritLash Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 am

Today’s events helped remind myself of what is really important in life. Being that it was mother’s day, my dad, brother and I catered to mother for her special day. We woke up at 6:40am this morning to get ready for church. Waking up that early reminded me of the memories I have of living at home. My brother and I always woke up like this every Sunday morning to go to church service at 8 and then after meeting with our bible study groups, we would be back home by noon. Because we go to a church about thirty minutes away from our house, if there was an evening service, we would stay out there and have lunch with some of our church family and go to the mall nearby. Before leaving for church, we gave my mom her gifts and cards and she called a few of our close relatives to wish them a happy mother’s day. We left for church around 7:30 and made it just in time for the praise and worship portion of service. We walked in on my pastor, John Wells Jr. singing a song with the musicians playing along with him. After singing a few songs, he gave his welcoming address: asking if there were any first time guests and then allowing everyone in the congregation to greet one another. During the greeting, I saw a few friends I haven’t seen in a while, also due to being in college and not having time to come home. We suggested meeting up sometime during the summer to catch up. After the meet and greet, the videography team played a video they made for the occasion, featuring different men from the body wishing the mothers a beautiful day and letting them know how much they appreciated the mothers in their lives. The men’s choir came to the stage after the video and sung two songs for the women. Both songs were very touching and it was nice to see how sincere and transparent they were; it was not about looking good in front of a crowd, but they actually seemed to mean what they said and that was a beautiful sight to see. Following the performance Pastor Wells introduced the guests speaker for today that was coming from San Diego. I forgot her name but she spoke from the theme for this year’s occasion: Women of Distinction. The Psalmist preached from 1 Samuel 1-20 and the story was basically about a man named Elkanah who had two wives: Hannah and Peninnah. Penninnah could bore children and Hannah could not. Despite the reputation she got for being different by other people including Peninnah, Hannah prayed and remained faithful to the Lord and her husband and God blessed her with a child. She named the child Samuel, the one she had asked for from the Lord. The message the psalmist was making was that sometimes to be a woman of God, you have to be willing to stand apart from the rest and know that God remembers you and will never let you down. It is a great privilege and honor to be a woman of spiritual distinction being led by God and seeking him in all ways. After the powerful message, the church put on a beautiful breakfast for the women in the church and we were going to stay for a little while, but my mom and some other church ladies wanted to go to Denny’s instead. So my mom, her friends, and I went to Denny’s and talked about the message and other current events going on in the world. My mom and I left breakfast to return home. All four of us decided to work together in the kitchen to make dinner before my brother had to leave. My brother helped with the shrimp scampi, I made the cheddar biscuits, my mom fried the catfish, and my dad put together the salad. Dinner was nice; I really missed having dinner together as a family.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:27 am