KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

5/12/13 Journal

ohpowers

5/12/13 Journal Empty 5/12/13 Journal

Post by ohpowers Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Dear Journal

Today I spent all day writing my essay for Dracula and would like to share some of it with you. Very Happy

Rough Draft: Dracula
    In the novel Dracula written by Bram Stoker Jonathan Harker is the first character in the novel to encounter Dracula. After Dracula learns about England form Jonathan he makes a journey over to London to expand his kingdom. While Dracula is in London we learn of two very important female characters named Mina and Lucy. These characters even though are both women show two very different characteristics. The women in the novel are to be thought of as weak and unintelligent which would be appropriate to the respective time period that the novel was written. However in the novel the beauty of the women also allows the audience to determine the intelligence level of the women and overall what they are capable of achieving in comparison to the men who are capable of having looks and being intelligent. In the novel Dracula Bram Stoker uses the beauty of characters Mina and Lucy in order to display their strength and or intelligence.
    The first female character’s name is Lucy. Lucy is a woman who lives a plentiful and blessed life; she is described as the most beautiful woman in the book who radiates innocence. Lucy was proposed to by multiple men who fell in love at first sight because of her looks. “If Mr. Holmwood fell in liver with her seeing her only in the drawing-room, I wonder what he would say if he saw her now” (Stoker, pg. 86). Here is an example of one of the men falling in love with Lucy just after one glance. When Lucy is described as beautiful is when she is at her weakest moments. For example “Together we moved over to the bed, and I lifted the lawn from her face. God! how beautiful she was. Every hour seemed to enhance her loveliness. It frightened and amazed me somewhat” (Stoker, pg.152) here Stoker shows Lucy at her weakest moment she is dead. Stoker shows us Lucy at her most vulnerable moment she is dead, and her being dead makes her weak. But when Lucy is ill or when she is a vampire she is at her ugliest moment, however it is also when she is the strongest. First when Lucy is ill she is described as “ghastly, chalkily pale; the red seemed to have gone even from her lips and gums, and the bones of her face stood out prominently” (Stoker. Pg.112) and when Lucy is a vampire she is described as “The beautiful colour became livid, the eyes seemed to throw our sparks of hell-fire, the brows were wrinkled as though the folds of the flesh were the coils of Medusa’s snakes and the lovely, blood-stained mouth grew to an open square, as in the passion masks of the Greeks and Japanese” (Stoker, pg. 188). Stoker uses deathly and un-appealing adjectives to describe Lucy when she is in a position of power or is going to obtain power. Stoker does this to show that beautiful women cannot be strong or have a position of power that can threaten a man or harm another. Lucy was described as ugly when she was ill because it is when she was in the process of becoming a vampire, something stronger than a man. Lucy can no longer have the beauty of a woman if she turns into something that can potentially be harmful or stronger than a man. Lucy’s dearest friend Mina is known to have the intelligence of a man.

Now I have only shared some of it I will share the rest later. It is not that good because it is only a rough draft but it will get better. Right now I am going to go and do my hair and make up talk to you later!!

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm