KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

journal 5.8.13

megdavis

journal 5.8.13 Empty journal 5.8.13

Post by megdavis Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Yesterday, I had an interview with Ms. Scott. She had asked that I bring a song that resonates with me in some way. We didn't get around to discussing it, so I thought it might be fun to write about it here. Like most of the world, I love music and can probably never tire of talking about it. The song I chose is called "When the War Ends" by Portugal. The Man. I've loved this song since I first heard it near the end of high school, and have only grown to love it more. The refrain starts with "When the war ends, we'll wonder what it was about. And when we grow old, we'll all wonder how we missed out." When I listen to it, I don't necessarily think of "war" in the most literal sense of the word. I mostly think of it as pertaining to really a more broad kind of conflict of obstacle in life. To me, this lyric is about how much people can let their problems upset them so much more than they should. It reminds me of a piece of advice my dad gave me. He told me that if something makes me angry in some way, I should ask myself if it's still going to upset me tomorrow/in a week/month/year etc. And if it wasn't going to be significant in the foreseeable future, don't let it ruin my day. I love those lyrics because it's a reminder that it can be so easy to hold a grudge or be upset about something to the point where you can't even remember what exactly upset you in the first place. For overall happiness, I think that it is important to not let negative emotions drag on any longer than is actually necessary. I can easily say that this realization has made me a much happier person, and it helps me to get along with other people so much more than I could if I allowed myself to get upset about anything that is not fairly significant.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:20 am