KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal 5/07/13

jasonhschechter
    jasonhschechter

Journal 5/07/13 Empty Journal 5/07/13

Post by jasonhschechter Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 am

VOTE BRUINS UNITED FOR USAC ELECTIONS!!! MY.UCLA.EDU. AVI OVED AND SUNNY SINGH!!! They are the most qualified candidates for their positions and are great people. Look at their platforms. Awesome stuff.
    Today was a terriblly exhausting day, with two midterms and my pledge quiz. I hope I did well on all of them. I half-assed my homework because I am so tired and done with working. To illustrate, this is my homework:
    Frankfurt: “Freedom of the Will and the Concept of a Person”
    1. A person is no longer just a creature when it has the capability of second-order volition. Second-order volition is in some ways analogous to self-reflection or metacognition. Being able to understand your own desires is indicative of the ability of second-order volition.
    2. According to Frankfurt, “will” is a long term desire. It is something that someone wants rationally rather than intuitively.
    3. A second order desire broadly refers to the ability to think about another thought. A second order volition is a type of second order desire in which one desires for another one of their wills to come to fruition. Thus, there is a distinction between the two phrases.
    4. Freedom of action is when a creature is able to carry out that which it desires. Therefore, it is free to do as it wants.
    5. Freedom of will is not dependent on freedom of action. One can have free will, even if they are unable to act upon that will. This is as long as their desires are uninhibited in any way and they can think freely about what they want.
    6. The unwilling addict lacks freedom of the will, because he is not able to have an open mind as a person does in order to think rationally and clearly about his real desires. The wanton addict is more willing in his lack of freedom, so he is somewhat voluntary in his slavery to addiction and incapability of rational thought.
    7. A creatures acts of its own free will when it is able to bring it’s desire into fruition. So if it desires to eat food, and then does so, it is able to act of its own free will.
    8. Enjoying freedom of will and acting of your own free will are different things. Frankfurt illustrates this with an example of a person being able to enjoy the fact that he has free will, but not being able to act on that free will. This is contrasted with a person who is able to act on his free will, but cannot enjouy it.
    9. Highest order volition indicates that once it is achieved, it is enjoyable to the person. Thus, acting on desires of the highest order are enjoyable actions to people.
    10. A person can only be morally responsible if they act on their highest order of volition. This is because they enjoy the action and their free will that is associated with the action.
    11. Frankfurt supports his claim about moral responsibility by providing the example of the murderer who is happy in his ability and decision to kill another person.

As you can see it is pretty bad. However, I truly do not care at this point. I think I need time to recuperate, because I have a really bad headache and I think I am starting to get sick again. I am probably going to go home this weekend to San Diego in order to get some rest and be with my family to recharge my batteries. I am excited for the days to come. It is election week for USAC and I really hope that my good friend and future roommate Avi Oved wins the election for Internal Vice President. He is the most qualified candidate, and will work so hard if he gets the job.

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:36 pm