KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal Entry 31: May 17, 2013

tonyyuan

Journal Entry 31: May 17, 2013 Empty Journal Entry 31: May 17, 2013

Post by tonyyuan Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Today, I will talk about my day in class today for architecture because I had a discussion today after our midterm. We talked about a lot about how monuments should be built in homage to the Supreme Being for religious celebration and surrounded by nature. In any season, architectural imagery and natural effects give architecture a beautifully abstract sweet harmony to it. Architects must love what they do and should be encouraged with appreciation for their efforts; however they should negate any barriers, such as fame and fortune, to maintain their gifted talent. For an architect, reason helps determine beautiful architecture. In comparison to architecture with other arts, such as painting, architecture strives for perfection since it attempts to overcome obstacles. The proportion of volume, which is elucidated by symmetry, variety, and regularity, was also introduced today in discussion. The play of light, movement, and volume arrangement will give architecture an impactful effect of grandeur and majesty.

Another thing that we learned about architecture today is that we learned about William Morris, the architect. Morris befriended people who would later become influential in his life such as Edward Burne-Jones, Philip Webb, and his wife, Jane Burden. The famous Red House in Bexley Heath was designed for his wife and him. As his life progressed, his firm partnered with Rosetti, Burne-Jones, Webb, and Ford Madox Brown, in which it provided an array of furniture and ornaments. Morris found love as an interior decorator and designer; he expressed his ideal architecture to be simplistic with the use of traditional materials and the creative mind. He founded the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings to salvage old buildings from becoming destroyed and modernized by machinery.

Even though this architecture class and discussion are never really interesting, I thought there were some alright topics to discuss about in this journal entry. So that’s that and I hoped you enjoy a little bit about this and architecture itself.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:46 am