KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

:lkasjdfljwef

Tyler J.

:lkasjdfljwef Empty :lkasjdfljwef

Post by Tyler J. Fri May 17, 2013 2:57 am

Today I nearly missed my journal because I was writing my god damn 100B experiment. Here's 300 words of its glory. Stereotypes about emotions and gender are deeply engrained in our society. From as early as pre-school, individuals have already formed stereotypes about which emotions are appropriate for each gender to express and which gender is more emotionally expressive (Hutson-Comeaux and Kelly, 2002). These stereotypes exert a great deal of influence on how individuals judge others for violating social norms (Hutson-Comeaux and Kelly, 2002). Despite the large body of work on the effects of these stereotypes, the effect of age on these stereotypes has never been thoroughly investigated. This leads us to question whether age will have a mitigating impact on how harshly individuals judge emotional reactions of each gender. If age does have a mitigating impact, then this knowledge can be used to further the understanding of the mechanisms behind social interactions. In addition to this, PR firms and other forms of media concerned with image would be able to use this knowledge to better predict and influence public reactions to violations of social norms.
    In their experiments regarding the effect of gender on perception of emotions, Hutson-Comeaux and Kelly (2002) found that the perceptions of the appropriateness and sincerity of individuals’ reactions depended on the emotions being expressed, the gender of the target, and the context the emotion was expressed in. This was found by administering a series of scenarios that depicted a target of varying gender overreacting in either a happy (i.e., female consistent) or an angry (i.e., male consistent) manner in different settings. Participants then filled out a survey rating the appropriateness and validity of the target’s emotions. They found that regardless of gender targets who overreacted in a gender inconsistent manner (i.e., expressing emotions that were associated with the opposite gender). I hate this thing so much.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:06 pm