KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

Journal Entry (05-16-2013)

stevenli11

Journal Entry (05-16-2013) Empty Journal Entry (05-16-2013)

Post by stevenli11 Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 pm

I was reading Henrik Ibsen’s ‘A Doll’s House' today, and I noticed that the playwright explores the 19th Century Bourgeois class, including its idea of marriage, gender inequality, image based on capital and patriarchy beliefs. Through various language techniques such as allegory, symbolism and discourse, Ibsen illustrates the flaws and superficiality of Bourgeois middle-class values.

At the very beginning of the play when the setting is being established, we can see through the introduction to living quarters that the residing family is middle-class. The room they live in is “furnished inexpensively, but with taste ,” and it contains a “piano” and a “small bookcase with handsomely bound books. ” These traits and objects reflect Bourgeois class ideals, and its emphasis on respectability and material goods. In a society where image was everything and a household must contain certain objects, this family had all the necessary items required, and fitted the typical mould for a Bourgeois family residence.

As the dialogue begins, we can already see the playwright drawing a parallel between Nora and the Christmas tree. Both are objects used for show, and both are to be “decorated ” before they can be shown to anyone. Something like a Christmas tree is useless and superfluous, used as an ornament and a display of wealth. In the traditional Victorian society that Ibsen was writing, women were sought after for their beauty and sexuality, while men on the other hand were sought after for their wealth. Ibsen highlights the gender inequality here by showing that women like Nora were objectified and used as decorations towards the household.

Throughout the extract, Nora appears to be childish and naive, and Torvald addresses her as if she is a pet or child; “my little skylark ”, “my little squirrel ”, “little featherbrain ”, “Miss Sweet Tooth .” These diminutive and condescending terms show Nora as a doll-like person, who has surrendered her autonomy to her husband Torvald. The constant repetition of the word “please ” from Nora indicates the role of power in linguistics, where Nora has to constantly beg for what she wants, rather than directly asking. The reader at this point views Nora as a child, a woman with no freedom and autonomy.

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:09 pm