KAP Chi Class journals

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KAP Chi Class journals

Journals for the Chi pledge class.

May 13th, 2013

kmatsuno

May 13th, 2013 Empty May 13th, 2013

Post by kmatsuno Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 am

Jurassic Lark: Part 3
    Day 5:
    Bagged two more today. Went back to sitting in the blind. I set out both the dragonfly and fish in hopes to attract more flying things. After waiting a while, a medium sized lizard (about 8 inches long) approached the dragonfly. Although he wasn’t much to look at, I took a shot and bagged him anyway. He looked like a pretty standard lizard and really reminded me of the tuataras I had seen when I hunted in New Zealand. I figured I’d add him to my growing collection of bait, so I stuck him back out there. Great decision on my part. About two hours later, some weird bird hybrid flew in from over the water. It was covered in feathers, flying, and about the size of a raven so I figured it had to be related to birds somehow, but it had a weird tail and feet that made me doubt it was truly a bird. It landed on the shore pretty quickly, and looked more comfortable on the ground. It immediately went for the lizard thing I had just put out, but before it got a foot away I had already put a hyper-bullet through it.
    Shots fired: 7 Game bagged: 10

Day 6:
    Two more minor things bagged today. Bored with land stuff, tried fishing all of today instead. Even though I used my hyper-bait, nothing bit all day. Did find two starfish looking things that were chilling in the sands a ways into the water. One was a very small brittle star. Like modern ones, it had a central disk and 5 arms, but was very small. The other was another regular looking sea star. About hand-sized, very bumpy, 5 arms. It was wrapped around a shell-fish, but I somehow managed to pry it off.
    Shots fired: 7 Game Bagged: 12

Day 7:
    Last day of the trip. I got three today, all beautiful, all massive, great day! Since it was my last day I decided to walk around and explore, and man was that the right decision. Just a couple minute walk away from my camp was a whole collection of cycadaceaes. They were all rather large, but still looked like small, squat palm trees. None of them were in season, so there were no sexual dimorphisms, but I still bagged two hoping for a male and female. Just a little ways away from that was a large monkey puzzle tree. Just like modern ones, dry, brittle branches surrounded it and discouraged anyone from coming near. But my hyper-boots were able to withstand the needles with no issue, so I quickly made my way to its trunk and chopped it down with my hyper-axe. Man, it was a real beauty. Big, lots of spines, and all its branches clustered towards the top in a lollipop shape the discourage predation. Like the earlier plants I bagged, none of these three moved, even after I killed one of them right in the middle of them. Maybe plants in this era are exclusively nocturnal... RESEARCH

The noise and commotion of my two successful kills had caused all the local animals to flee. All except one. A giant T-Rex looking thing had heard all the noise and was coming to investigate. It was huge (about 30 feet long) and coming right towards me. Luckily for me, it didn’t charge, but instead slowly meandered my way, obviously curious about what caused this huge disturbance. I quickly pulled out my hyper-gun and began pumping rounds into its head. My first couple of shots hit it right in the small horns above its eyes, but they didn’t seem to do much other than annoy it. My next few shots hit the eyes themselves, and that seemed to put the big guy down. There was no way to drag back any of my kills today, so I just took pictures of myself by them with my hyper-camera before heading back. Man, that was one hell of a hunting trip!
    Total Shots fired: 13 Kills: 16

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm